No other illness in this world affects the body more profoundly than cancer. Cancer, or the group of diseases we generally refer to as malignant, is the second biggest cause of mortality in countries like Unites States. The standard allopathic treatments and therapies like chemotherapy treat the ailment, not the person. In fact, in the isolation and loneliness of a hospital, I have seen cancer patients feeling as if they are not humans. While Essential Oils don’t offer a sure shot cure to ailments like cancer, they certainly make the life of the patient a lot easier. Here is how Essential Oils can help an individual to accept himself as a cancer patient and sustain the trauma involved in the treatment:
Table of Contents
- 1 How Can Essential Oils Help In The Initial Stages Of Diagnosis And Subsequent Treatment?
- 2 How To Use Essential Oils In The Post-Operative Phase Of The Treatment?
- 3 Role Of Essential Oils In Easing The Discomfort Of Chemotherapy And Radiation Treatment
- 4 How To Use Essential Oils For Emotional Healing Of Cancer Patients?
How Can Essential Oils Help In The Initial Stages Of Diagnosis And Subsequent Treatment?
Upon hearing the preliminary diagnosis of cancer, many people fail to remember what else happened in the doctor’s clinic. In just few seconds, mind-boggling feelings of fear, shock and denial overpower the mind. Essential Oils like Tarragon, Neroli, Rose and Petitgrain can help battle the initial waves of emotional distress, while providing the patient with strength and clarity to overcome the challenges of the time ahead me.
Depression is one of the most common after-affects of cancer. This depression often reaches its peak due to the medicines used and the rigors of post-operative therapies. Essential Oils like Geranium and Lavender are especially good at balancing the central nervous system. Clary Sage, Rose Otto, Roman Chamomile, Vetivert and Frankincense all help to quiet the nervous system, release stress and deepen the breathing.
While offering support to the central nervous system, Essential Oils like Mandarin, Melissa, Sweet Marjoram, Myrrh, Neroli and Ylang Ylang help in dispelling the anger, which in turn reduces the likelihood of the person falling into depression. These Essential Oils can be applied topically, used diluted in carrier Oil, or diffused in the air for effortless inhalation.
For the day, using Citrus Oils like Bergamot is good for uplifting the emotions and calming the depression. While Citrus Oils like Sweet Orange, Grapefruit, Lime and Lemon are great for daytime relief, Mandarin, which is sedative, can best be used at night.
How To Use Essential Oils In The Post-Operative Phase Of The Treatment?
Essential Oils can best be used for healing incision sites, no matter whether the cut is major or minor. Essential Oils like Helichrysum Italicum can be used almost immediately after the surgery to encourage new skin cell growth and minimize the scars.
Role Of Essential Oils In Easing The Discomfort Of Chemotherapy And Radiation Treatment
While chemotherapy and radiation are two entirely different treatment procedures, they are generally used simultaneously and can bring about very similar adverse effects. Here is how Essential Oils can support your body during radiation treatments and chemotherapy:
- Radiation can easily damage the vital body organs and the skin, so using Essential Oils in conjunction with proper nutrition may help minimize the damage. You can use Hyssop, Sandalwood, Frankincense or Peppermint and apply them topically on the affected regions 1-2 times on a daily basis.
- Neuritis is another complication caused due to radiation that can be cured with Melrose, Nutmeg and Lavender. Apply 2-4 drops of Essential Oil diluted in carrier Oil straight to affected areas 3-5 times daily. These Oils could also be used with a cold compress on affected location two-three times in a day.
- During the process of chemotherapy, good blood cells are destroyed along with cancerous cells. Cypress can help to restore the strength of white blood cells in the body. This Essential Oil can be applied directly to the skin, taken orally or inhaled through a diffuser.
- Nausea and stomach upset is a common complication of cancer treatment. Nausea and stomach upset could be comforted with the use of Essential Oils of Peppermint, Ginger and Nutmeg. Dilute 1-3 drops of Essential Oil in carrier Oil and apply behind each ear and over the navel. You can also use these Oils with warm compress over the stomach or inhale directly from the bottle.
How To Use Essential Oils For Emotional Healing Of Cancer Patients?
One of the most challenging aspects of cancer treatment is maintaining the positivity in the patient. Good emotional health throughout the treatment is important both for the patient and the support system applied. As there are several Essential Oils that can be helpful in maintaining the emotional health of the patient, it is recommended that you try multiple blends to figure out the one that works best for you. Some of the suggested Essential Oils you can use include Lavender, Bergamot, Peppermint, Rose and Orange.
The more we learn about Essential Oils, the more we realize how useful can they be in the treatment of most dreaded diseases like cancer. Aromatherapy can make it easier for a cancer patient to undergo oncological care by addressing his emotional needs and helping him with the pain and discomfort associated with the treatment. Apart from that, Essential Oils are also a natural and inexpensive way of addressing the adverse effects of the treatment of a malignant disease, including incisions, lingering wounds, radiation burns, edema, fatigue and nausea.