Millions of children in this world have ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) and show symptoms like impulsivity, inattention and hyperactivity. While there are several prescription drugs are available in the market to control the symptoms of ADHD, most popular drugs like Ritalin often have unwanted side effects.
Ritalin may cause permanent nerve tics as well as growth retardation in kids by interfering with the cycles of growth hormones secretion. Research in the last 3 decades has found that inhalation of Essential Oils can significantly help children suffering from this condition. Essential Oils are the substances that are able to cross the blood-brain barrier to heal the brain directly, making them an effective treatment option for ADHD and other mental disorders.
Table of Contents
- 1 Facts About ADHD
- 2 Here Are Some Of The Best Essential Oils That Are Proven To Be Effective In The Treatment Of Disorders Like ADHD
- 2.1 1. Ylang Ylang Essential Oil (Cananga odorata)
- 2.2 2. Lavender Essential Oil (Lavandula angustifolia / Lavandula officianalis)
- 2.3 3. Coriander / Cilantro Essential Oil (Coriandrum sativum)
- 2.4 4. Tea Tree Essential Oil (Melaleuca alternifolia)
- 2.5 5. Cedarwood Essential Oil (Cedrus atlantica)
- 2.6 6. Vetiver Essential Oil (Vetiveria zizanoides)
- 2.7 7. Frankincense Essential Oil (Boswellia carterii)
- 2.8 8. Cypress Essential Oil (Cupressus sempervirens)
- 2.9 9. Rosemary Essential Oil (Rosmarinus officinalis)
- 3 Natural Remedies For The Best Possible Relief Of ADHD?
- 4 How To Make Your Own Essential Oil Blend For ADHD And Other Related Problems?
- 5 Here’s A Quick List Of The Essential Oils That Support The Health And Wellness Of ADHD Affected Children:
- 6 Important Things To Consider When Using Essential Oils On Children With ADHD Disorder:
- 7 Few Pros And Cons Of Using Essential Oils For ADHD Relief:
- 8 Recommended Product for ADHD
- 9 Conclusion
Facts About ADHD
The two images below show 16 facts about ADHD.
Here Are Some Of The Best Essential Oils That Are Proven To Be Effective In The Treatment Of Disorders Like ADHD
1. Ylang Ylang Essential Oil (Cananga odorata)
Research has found that Ylang Ylang Oil has sedative effects that are measured by the decrease in blood pressure and pulse rates. In addition, it can considerably elevate the attentiveness and the feeling of content if inhaled in right amounts. Ylang ylang will be a great treatment alternative for those suffering from ADHD and problems like inattentive behavior.
2. Lavender Essential Oil (Lavandula angustifolia / Lavandula officianalis)
Lavender: I use this oil for its qualities of serotonin and noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor. These are the qualities I have found useful in the treatment of problems like ADHD and depression. Additionally, there are several compounds present in Lavender that have sedative effects.
This Oil has also been broadly analyzed for its soothing effects. Studies have reported that Lavender Oil can bring about soothing effects, improved moods, and better concentration. The soothing effects of Lavender Oil are there due to its ingredients like linalool and linalyl acetate.
Lavender Oil is also known to improve the performance and minimize mental stress. Scientists have found that inhaling Lavender Oil elevates the level of beta waves in the brain, allowing the brain to unwind easily and improve its cognitive performance. One of the many benefits of Lavender Oil is that it helps in calming the mind and improves the concentration.
3. Coriander / Cilantro Essential Oil (Coriandrum sativum)
There’s a very encouraging evidence supporting the fact that Cilantro Oil helps in addressing the concerns related to the presence of excess heavy metal toxins found in children suffering with behavior disorders like ADHD. Cilantro Oil has high anti-depressant, anti-microbe, anxiolytic, anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, lead-cleansing and neuro-protective qualities. One study examined lead-caused alterations in test subjects and concluded that administration of Cilantro Oil extracts reduces the extent at which lead gets deposited in the body. Another study confirmed that the lead-protective qualities of Cilantro Oil could cause substantial decrease in the lead concentration levels of the body. Cilantro Oil suppresses the lead content in the body through a process called chelation. Cilantro Oil can also help you get rid of mercury as it is known to binding itself with the mercury.
4. Tea Tree Essential Oil (Melaleuca alternifolia)
Melaleuca Oil is highly regarded for its anti-fungal, anti-viral and anti-microbial qualities. Inhalation of this Essential Oil can improve the defense mechanisms of the body by growing its immune cells. This Oil is also known to help patients with ADHD due to its anti-inflammatory effects, help to the defense mechanisms of the body by growing its immunoglobulin cells, which are often jeopardized because of gastro-intestinal problems, and anti-yeast and anti-microbial affects that suppress the clostridia and candidiasis overgrowth, which is often found in patients suffering from ADHD disorders.
5. Cedarwood Essential Oil (Cedrus atlantica)
Cedarwood Oil is probably the most ancient of all of the Essential Oils. It helps you to oxygenate the brain, resulting in clearness of thought. This Oil comes from the Cedar tree and is known to activate the limbic region of the brain, which is responsible for balancing the feelings. Additionally, it stimulates the pinneal gland, which can help regulate melatonin. Furthermore, Cedarwood Oil has a soothing effect, especially when diffused into the air.
Studies have concluded that this oil could effectively treat ADHD due to its soothing and cleansing qualities. Whenever I feel depressed and low, I just diffuse six or seven drops of Cederwood into the air. It’s not a miracle, nevertheless it helps me to feel encouraged and concentrate on my work. You can also use this oil on your skin for the same effect. Some people use Cedarwood just for its great smell. It can make your entire premises smell like a forest! Like citrus fresh, it’s also an excellent air freshener.
6. Vetiver Essential Oil (Vetiveria zizanoides)
Vetiver Oil is the Essential Oil that is talked about, when it comes to management of ADHD. Vetiver is basically a grass that has a branched root. This root is used to produce the Essential Oil through the process of distillation. Vetiver is grown in many regions due to its anti-erosion effects on the soil. Its widespread roots will help to hold the soil together and stabilize the land. When used on humans, this same stabilizing quality helps them to not fall apart emotionally.
Vetiver comes with an intense “grounding quality”. It allows us to stay in contact with ourselves and feel the needs of our body. It’s also good for individuals who use their hearts more than their brains. In addition to helping the rational people in making their lives better, Vetiver Oil can help those that feel nervous, tense or exhausted. It releases the tension and provides you with strength, energy and re-growth. Due to its warm, deep and adopting quality, it will help you in becoming more calm and tolerant towards yourselves, your sorrows, your emotional issues and towards your environment. This is what is required for overcoming problems like ADHD.
The scent of Vetiver Oil is so strong that you just need a little bit of it. About 1 drop of Vetiver Oil in 50 ml carrier Oil or alcohol is going to be enough. In order to thin the Oil and have easy access, you can warm the bottle for 4-5 minutes.
7. Frankincense Essential Oil (Boswellia carterii)
Eastern orthodox priests use Frankincense Oil in their worship. The different Oil blends they use include Frankincense Oil as an essential ingredient. Just like Cedarwood, this Oil activates the limbic system, which is the memory center of the brain. Additionally, it helps in stimulating the pituary, pineal and hypothalamus glands.
A few of the adjectives that can best describe this Oil are:
- Combating depression
- Overcoming stress and despair
- Helping to focus the mind
8. Cypress Essential Oil (Cupressus sempervirens)
Cypress is a tree of the Mediterranean nations, which grows straight into the heaven, with a clear form that will not require any cutting of branches. This is a naturally organized and structured tree. Being naturally organized and structured is what most of the people suffering with ADHD need to be. One can benefit from such characteristics of this tree by using the Essential Oil derived from Cypress. Being a tree with strong YANG character, Cypress allows you to be structured, whether it is about the feelings or the jobs you have to finish. It clears your mind of unnecessary ideas and offers emotional stability.
Cypress Oil will also help you calm down when you are nervous and tense. It dries the tears and offers comfort, when emotions take over. It will hold you together when you have a feeling of melting into tears. Cypress can also be useful for ADHD patients that are distracted and prone to forgetting things and whose minds are always jumping from one spot to another.
Cypress Oil will help you in bringing your ideas and dreams into reality as it helps in making decisions. For those that are hyperactive and want a rest – Cypress Oil will help control and tame your emotional reactions.
9. Rosemary Essential Oil (Rosmarinus officinalis)
It’s believed that the Greek goddess Aphrodite gave Rosemary Oil as a gift to the humans. This plant is a symbol for loyalty, remembrance, friendship and love. Rosemary Oil has already been used in several religious rituals by the cultures of ancient Egypt and Greece. In addition, these cultures have effectively used Rosemary Oil in healing procedures.
When it comes to getting relief in conditions like ADHD, Rosemary is the Essential Oil to use. In ancient Rome and Greece, students used to wear garlands of Rosemary on their foreheads, for better concentration. It can help those that are not able to study due to their hyperactive nature. Rosemary Oil also improves the speed and precision in learning and studying for the exams.
This Oil is known to offer immense stability, both physically and emotionally. It will help you emotionally when you are experiencing mood shifts or when you feel yourself drowning in emotions. This Oil can especially be used in instances when there’s hardly any time and space for dealing with emotional issues and there is an urgent need of being more rational and practical.
Rosemary Oil is also good for the nerves, whether the problem is mental or there is a bodily nerve discomfort. In addition to that, using Rosemary Oil offers support to the spine making us more strong and balanced. In essence, Rosemary Oil is like a friendly voice saying: “Yes, you can do this” and offering self-confidence and courage.
Natural Remedies For The Best Possible Relief Of ADHD?
Past research has shown that aromatically using one Oil at a time, 3 times in a day, for one month is very beneficial in the treatment of ADHD. It’s thought that the inhalation of Essential Oils can settle the brain waves in children suffering from ADHD and make them normal again.
With Lavender Oil, Cedarwood Oil and Vetiver Oil increasing the performance of ADHD in children by 53 percent, 83 percent and 100 percent respectively, a significant improvement can also be seen in the behavioural patterns and scholastic performance of the children being treated with Essential Oils.
Rubbing Vetiver Oil at the base of toes, where brain reflexology points exist, can help control impulses caused by Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). In brain scans, Vetiver Oil was found to be most effective giving the best possible results.
How To Make Your Own Essential Oil Blend For ADHD And Other Related Problems?
Always diffuse one type of Oil at a time, adding 10-12 drops of the Oil in the diffuser (3 times in a day). Here is how to make your own ADHD Essential Oils Recipes discussed above:
Lavender Oil Blend
Massage 2 drops of Lavender Oil with 8 drops of Sweet Almond Oil round the feet, shoulder and chest of the person suffering from ADHD disorder. This can help him relax and get more sleep. Lavender Oil isn’t just an Oil which is soothing but additionally it is an energy balancer making it suitable for use by anybody.
Cedarwood Oil Blend
Cedarwood is recognized as a holy Oil in Christian traditions. This Oil has high levels of sesquiterpenes, which is a chemical substance that stimulates the mental synergy and thought process. This Oil can be applied around the temple and the neck, breathed in, and rubbed around the brain stem present at the bottom of the skull. Make sure to skin patch test first on your arm before using. In addition, use it with a base Oil like sweet Almond Oil in the ratio of 3 is to 8.
Vetiver Oil Blend
Add 1-2 drops of Vetiver Essential Oil with 8-9 drops of Sweet Almond Oil and massage into the toes.
Here’s A Quick List Of The Essential Oils That Support The Health And Wellness Of ADHD Affected Children:
- De-Stress & Relax: Lavender Oil
- Peace & Calming: Frankincense Oil, Vetiver Oil
- Focus Better: Vetiver Oil, Lemon Oil, Peppermint Oil, Lavender Oil
- Sleep Good: Lavender Oil
- Be Happy: Tangerine Oil, Grapefruit Oil, Orange Oil, Lemon Oil
Important Things To Consider When Using Essential Oils On Children With ADHD Disorder:
- Massage, structure and relaxation workouts are all useful and natural techniques to use if you are trying to provide your child with a calm and relaxed environment.
- Kids with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) are attracted to new activities, change and adventure. This tendency should be balanced with the opposite: activities that are soothing and relaxing. Your child needs regularity and structure to counter his natural inclination towards chaos. There should be a fixed time for homework, exercise, eat, relax, retire for the night, and wake up to begin a new day.
- Adding a complete body or even a foot massage to the bed time routine of your child could be another fantastic way to help calm your hyperactive child. Human touch has very effective emotional and physical benefits. There are numerous Essential Oils to pick from that have unique relaxing qualities. Not every Essential Oil is meant to be used directly on skin, so do your research prior to starting use.
Few Pros And Cons Of Using Essential Oils For ADHD Relief:
- Using Essential Oils is a natural way to treat the symptoms of ADHD. There is no need to resort to the use of artificial methods for achieving the desired relief.
- While these Oils eliminate the symptoms of ADHD, they make you a much sharper individual who can focus on the task at hand.
- Some Essential Oils are known to cause itching in some individuals. If you have a sensitive skin, make sure that you do not use Essential Oils before consulting a physician.
Recommended Product for ADHD
If you need help with concentration, staying focused & organized, emotions, hyperactivity & restlessness, click here to read more about my Essential Oil Blends.
Essential Oils have brought lot of peace and pleasure into the lives of those that are suffering from ADHD. They help them relax and calm down whenever there is a feeling of stress and anxiety. Additionally these Oils help them settle down both physically and mentally so that they can sleep peacefully. These Oils likewise assist in focusing better so that ADHD sufferers can pay attention to things they find boring. Most of the affected children are responsive to smell and like the aroma of Essential Oils.
The signs and symptoms of ADHD are workable without the use of drugs. It doesn’t seem sensible to treat those symptoms with medicines that can cause plenty of other health issues. Fortunately, Essential Oils are there to help you with your problem of hyperactivity and make you feel like never before!