Essential oils are the nature’s botanical essences that work wonders for your scalp and hair. Whether used for strengthening the hair, cleansing the scalp, stimulating the hair follicles, controlling dandruff or even promoting hair growth, they score well in every department. Having said that, here are some of the best essential oils you can use for rapid hair growth and thick and shiny locks:
Table of Contents
- 1 10 Essential Oils for Hair
- 2 What Are The Best Carrier Oils (Base Oils) To Use For Rapid Hair Growth?
- 3 How To Use Essential Oils For Hair Growth
- 3.1 Recipe 1 – Lavender and Cedarwood massage
- 3.2 Recipe 2 – For thick black hair
- 3.3 Recipe 3 – For Alopecia Areata
- 3.4 Recipe 4 – For Hair Loss in Men
- 3.5 Recipe 5 – For Vigorous and Healthy Growth of Hair
- 3.6 Recipe 6 – Healthy Growth of Hair for Mature Women
- 3.7 Recipe 7
- 3.8 Recipe 8 – Scalp Massage for flaky scalp and dandruff
- 3.9 Recipe 9
- 3.10 Recipe 10 – using castor oil
- 3.11 Recipe 11 – The hair conditioning oil
- 3.12 Recipe 12
- 3.13 Recipe 13
- 3.14 Recipe 15 – Message your hair with grapeseed oil for faster and thicker growth
- 3.15 Recipe 16 – Coconut oil and Olive Oil Hair Mask
- 3.16 Recipe 17
- 3.17 Recipe 18
- 3.18 Recipe 19
- 3.19 Recipe 20 – The use of the essential oil of Juniper
- 3.20 Recipe 21 – Hot oil treatment
- 3.21 Recipe 22 – Deep hair conditioner
- 3.22 Recipe 23 – Essential oil recipe for hair loss
- 4 Essential Oil Massage Blends Based On Your Hair Type
- 5 Few Warnings
- 6 My personal advice
10 Essential Oils for Hair
1. Lavender essential oil
Lavender essential oil is versatile enough to be used on all hair types. With multiple benefits for the hair, from treating dandruff to increasing the volume, its antibacterial agents help to get rid of infections of the scalp. Put some lavender springs in a glass bowl, cover with olive oil, seal well. Leave in a cool, dark place for 3-4 weeks, and then use this infusion of lavender oil to massage the scalp. Leave it overnight and wash the next morning with a herbal shampoo to see your hair growing thicker, longer and brighter in no time!
2. Cedarwood oil
This oil should be used in concentrations ranging from 0.5 to 1%. It is useful in cases where hair loss is caused due to bacterial infection, atrophic areata or compromised immune system.
3. Rosemary essential oil
Rosemary is one of the best essential oil you can use for rapid hair growth. This essential oil can help stimulate the hair follicles to grow new hair and slow down hair loss. I find the aromatic scent of Rosemary very uplifting and enough to keep me alert all day, while promoting faster growth and healthier hair. It is also believed that the use of the essential oil of Rosemary can delay the onset of grey hair. Lavender, thyme and sage are other essential oils that blend well with rosemary and are beneficial to the hair.
4. Chamomile oil
The essential oil of Chamomile is good for the conditions in which hair loss is caused by inflammation of the scalp and hair follicles and reduction of cellular function. While being a potent anti-inflammatory, the essential oil of chamomile helps to cool the scalp and restore the normal cellular function.
5. Lemon oil
Lemon, in all its forms, is ideal for your hair. If you have dry hair, lemon essential oilstimulates the sebaceous glands to produce more oil, resulting in smoother and more radiant hair. In addition to all these qualities, this oil will also get rid of all your dandruff problems and prevent lice in the head- permanently. After washing your hair, add four drops of lemon essential oil to moistened hands and apply on the hair before rinsing them thoroughly. This will give your hair a natural shine.
6. Ylang Ylang Oil
Ylang Ylang oil is useful for increasing the thickness of hair. It is also helpful to deal with split ends and can balance oil production of the scalp. Ylang ylang oil is similar to lavender in its stress reducing qualities.
7. Bergamot Oil
Bergamot is a great essential oil for hair loss and the related problems. It can be applied directly and regularly over the hair, even for an extended period of time. Alternatively, you can mix a few drops each of castor oil and coconut oil to Bergamot and make your own hair tonic. Bergamot also has pH balancing properties, so you can mix a drop or two in your hair conditioner every time you wash your hair.
8. Cypress Oil
Cypress is the oil to use for hair conditions like alopecia. However, this oil is good not only for alopecia, but also for removing oil from the scalp. There are several ways to use cypress oil and one of ways I use cypress is to mix it with sage, lavender or rosemary oil. The resulting blend is highly efficient at accelerating hair growth.
9. Almond Oil
Almond oil is excellent for dry hair. Heat a little almond oil and apply it to your hair regularly. Be sure to rub into the scalp and massage slowly, as this will help the oil glands of the scalp to produce more oil, which, in turn, will ensure that your hair grow healthy and bright. You can also apply a small amount of heated oil to your hair and leave it on for half an hour. Rinse thoroughly and see your damaged hair eventually recovering their shine.
10. Carrot Oil
Essential oil derived from the root of carrot can be directly used in the form of extract, or diluted in jojoba oil, for lustrous and healthy locks. The essential oil of carrot is a rich source of antioxidants and carotene, and therefore it is able to perform the dual task of hair growth and revival of the dead skin.
You could also try Simply Hair Oil for a softer, silkier and shinier hair.
What Are The Best Carrier Oils (Base Oils) To Use For Rapid Hair Growth?
A carrier oil (e.g. sweet almond, apricot kernel, olive) is a vegetable oil which can be used to dilute essential oils. Carrier oils ensure that the person applying the essential oils stays comfortable with no side effects on the skin. In order to dilute the essential oils, or bring them to a concentration of 1%, mix 6 drops of essential oil in one ounce (30ml) of carrier oil. Carrier oils that I often use in my essential oil preparations for hair are evening primrose oil, coconut oil, jojoba oil, grapeseed oil and sesame oil.
How To Use Essential Oils For Hair Growth
The use of essential oils for hair growth is relatively easy. You can just use any of the recommended essential oils with shampoo or conditioner. You can also consider mixing drops of these essential oils in above mentioned carrier oils and use them over your scalp or hair. Here are some of the best essential oil combinations I have personally tried and tested for their effectiveness in helping rapid hair growth:
Recipe 1 – Lavender and Cedarwood massage
Blend the essential oils of lavender ( 5 drops) and cedarwood (3 drops) together, dilute in coconut oil (3 tsp) and apply directly to the scalp, use a shower cap or towel to cover the hair. You can leave this blend on your hair overnight or wash it after 30 minutes with a shampoo. It is important to wash off all the oil well; otherwise, your hair will be oily and limp.
Recipe 2 – For thick black hair
Prepare 8 ounces of carrier oil with an equal amount of sesame oil, coconut oil and jojoba oil. Into this blend, add 96 drops of rosemary, ylang ylang and lavender oil. Gently massage your hair using this blend for strong and black hair.
Recipe 3 – For Alopecia Areata
Make 8 ounces of carrier oils of jojoba and grape in a 50 / 50 concentration. To this, add 64 drops each of lavender, cedar, thyme and rosemary verbénone. Massage gently with this blend for improvement in conditions like Alopecia Areata.
Recipe 4 – For Hair Loss in Men
Mix two ounces each of the essential oils of coconut, rosehip seed, primrose and sesame. To this, add 24 drops of clove oil, 40 drops of cypress, 54 helichrysum drops, 64 drops of rosemary verbénone & German chamomile, 96 drops of lavender and 128 drops of carrot oil. Gently massage the blend over your scalp for relief in hair fall.
Recipe 5 – For Vigorous and Healthy Growth of Hair
Mix jojoba and coconut oil in equal quantities (four ounces each). To this, add 32 drops of sage oil and 128 drops of lavenderand rosemary oil (64 drops each). If you are pregnant, you can avoid sage oil. Gently massage the blend over your scalp for quick hair growth.
Recipe 6 – Healthy Growth of Hair for Mature Women
Take two ounces each of evening primrose and rosehip seed oil and add 4 ounces of jojoba. To this, add 24 drops of sage oil and 96 drops each of lavender, rosemary verbenone and carrot oil. Gently massage the blend over your scalp for quick hair growth.
- 1 teaspoon of jojoba oil
- 9 teaspoons grapeseed oil
- 6 drops of lavender
- 6 drops of rosemary
- 4 drops of thyme
- 4 drops of cedarwood
Mix all the above oils and then massage the mixture into the scalp. Wrap your head in a towel to keep warm. Depending on how the scalp and hair react to this treatment, you have two options: either wait for 30 minutes, then wash it all or keep it overnight and wash your hair in the morning. Follow this practice twice a week.
Recipe 8 – Scalp Massage for flaky scalp and dandruff
Apply 2 drops of your choice of essential oils mentioned above to the bristles of your hair brush and brush your hair thoroughly using it.
Recipe 10 – using castor oil
- Mix all the ingredients in a dark colored bottle with a dropper
- Shake well to mix
- Apply the oil over your scalp using a dropper. Right above my ear, I part my hair on one side and add 2-3 drops of the blend. Thereafter, I keep moving upwards parting my hair again about 1/2 inch from that part and add more oil until my entire scalp is covered. Thereafter, massage gently making sure that the entire scalp is covered.
Recipe 11 – The hair conditioning oil
- 6 drops of Rosemary
- 2 tablespoon Jojoba or any other carrier oil
Mix jojoba and rosemary in a small bowl. Wet the hair with warm water and apply the conditioner. Leave it in hair for 15-30 minutes. Then, wash your hair as usual. I have found this blend to be especially useful for dry hair.
- Combine 12 drops of lavender and bay essential oils with 8 ounces of warm sesame oil.
- Massage the mixture into your scalp.
- Allow the mixture to soak into the scalp for 20 minutes before washing.
- For quicker results, add 4 drops of bay essential oil to your shampoo. Wash as usual.
- 1 cup castor oil
- 20 drops of frankincense
- 40 drops of essential oil of cedar
- 40 drops of rosemary essential oil
Add the ingredients in an amber glass bottle with a pump. Shake to mix the ingredients. Store the mixture in a dark glass bottle. Apply a dime-sized drop to the scalp twice daily and massage. Do this for at least two minutes.
Recipe 15 – Message your hair with grapeseed oil for faster and thicker growth
Grapeseed oil is another natural oil to help your hair grow longer and more voluminous. Just massage this amazing oil into your scalp at night, 2-3 times a week.
Recipe 16 – Coconut oil and Olive Oil Hair Mask
Mix coconut oil and olive oil in equal proportions. Heat the mixture until it is warm. Comb this mask onto your hair, in a way that it reaches the roots as well as the ends. Leave for 25-30 minutes, then wash your hair as usual and air dry. Apply this natural remedy once a week to stimulate hair growth.
Mix 2 teaspoons each of essential oils of rosemary, basil and lavender. Mix 8-10 drops of this blend with 2 teaspoons of each of burdock oil and aloe vera gel. Massage the blend into the scalp, and leave it on for a couple of hours. Thereafter, shampoo your hair as usual.
Mix 4 drops of thyme, 6 drops of rosemary, 4 drops of cedar and two tablespoons of jojoba oilin an airtight jar or bowl. Just rub this mixture into the scalp every night and thereafter rinse with cold water as usual after leaving it for overnight.
For best results, use this blend every night. For oily hair, use 2-3 times a week
- 12 drops of oil Ravintsara oil
- 12 drops of peppermint oil
- 12 drops of rosemary oil
- Jojoba oil or 3/4 cup filtered water
- Put water or oil in a small glass container
- Add essential oils.
- Put a little amount of this blend on your fingers and massage the scalp.
Recipe 20 – The use of the essential oil of Juniper
The essential oil of juniper is derived from the coniferous tree and has a rich history of traditional uses and advantages. This oil acts as a cleanser and detoxifying agent. Its spicy, woody and fresh scent has a calming effect. When sprayed, it helps to purify and cleanse the air. Mix 8-10 drops of the essential oil of Juniper with a natural hair conditioner, leave for 3-5 minutes then wash normally.
Recipe 21 – Hot oil treatment
Mix 4 teaspoons of good quality avocado oil and 4 teaspoons of almond oil in a heat resistant container. Put this container in hot water bath for a duration long enough to warm the oils and then apply all over the hair and scalp. Heat opens the hair roots and stimulates blood flow to the pores of the scalp. Oils moisturize and strengthen the hair and promote the growth of thicker, fuller hair.
Recipe 22 – Deep hair conditioner
This recipe is especially good for dry and damaged hair. Mix 4 tablespoons of coconut oil, 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 16 drops of the essential oil of your choice. Mix well. You may need an electric blender. Eggs are also an excellent source of protein for the hair. You can also mix an egg yolk into the mixture. Use this essential oil blend as a hair conditioner
Recipe 23 – Essential oil recipe for hair loss
In this recipe, the use of the essential oil of Rosemary is the key. Just add 3-4 drops of the essential oil of rosemary to your shampoo to stimulate the hair follicles. With Rosemary being the key ingredient, here are some of the good essential oil blends I use to counter hair fall:
- 8 drops of clary sage
- 8 drops cypress
- 10 drops of lavender
- 6 drops of rosemary
Blend all the essential oils and massage your scalp gently with the mix.
- 20 drops of sandalwood
- 20 drops of lavender
- 16 drops rosemary
Blend all the essential oils and massage your scalp gently with the mix.
Essential Oil Massage Blends Based On Your Hair Type
- Dry hair: Blend 1-2 drops of coconut oil or olive oil with 1-2 drops of geranium or lavender and massage the scalp gently.
- Oily hair: Blend 1-2 drops of Cypress, basil and lemon and massage at just the tips of the hair
- Brittle hair: Blend 1-2 drops of Roman chamomile and Clary Sage and massage the scalp thoroughly
- Essential oils must be diluted before use with carrier oil such as jojoba, avocado, coconut oil. Test a small area of the skin with the essential oil blend you intend to use to make sure it does not cause a reaction. Essential oils are very powerful, so do not apply them directly to your hair without a carrier oil. Again, if you are concerned about hair loss, consult your doctor first.
- Women who are pregnant or nursing should be especially careful when using essential oils. Consult your doctor before using any of the stimulating essential oils.
My personal advice
- I would suggest the use of Jojoba oil as carrier oil in hair loss remedies. For best results, try leaving the blend in your hair overnight. Keep a towel over the pillow so as not to leave marks. You can experiment with different amounts of each essential oil as long as it meets the suggested ratio. For example, if you like the smell of lavender, try adding several extra drops of lavender oil and accordingly reduce quantities of the other oils.
- Make sure to wash all the oil. When you leave them too long, they weigh your hair down, leaving them limp and oily.